The Creative Coalition is hosting the Your Voice Carries Weight PSA Competition to motivate citizens to have a better understanding around obesity: a global epidemic that impacts more than four out of 10 U.S. adults. The Creative Coalition is the premier nonprofit, nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) charity dedicated to educating, mobilizing, and activating the arts and entertainment communities on issues of public importance, harnessing their unique platforms to make positive impacts on social welfare issues. Similar to what the entertainment industry did to bring parity to mental illness, attention to sexual harassment, and making diversity and inclusion a priority, we are committed to destigmatizing obesity. The Your Voice Carries Weight PSA Competition encourages applicants to highlight stories that amplify the importance of seeking help for obesity.
Three winners will receive:
- The first prize winner will be awarded $5,000.
- The second-place winner will be awarded $3,000.
- The third-place winner will be awarded $1,000.
- Winners will be featured in major public relations and social media campaigns.
- Winning PSAs will be showcased at The Creative Coalition’s Television Humanitarian Awards Gala that will be held during the 2022 Emmy Awards Weekend in Los Angeles. The audience will include Hollywood’s most notable celebrities, writers, producers, directors, media, and creative executives.
- Winning PSAs may appear on national television, in publications, digitally, or on other platforms.
Weight impacts our health and this chronic disease affects individuals of all ages and backgrounds, their families, and communities. Obesity is not about eating less and exercising more; it stems from a variety of genetic and environmental factors. Obesity is a disease that impacts all aspects of life including physical and mental health, relationships, and financial well-being. Those with obesity deserve professional help and attention from a healthcare professional. Through this competition, we hope to use the arts to change the conversation, challenge misconceptions, and increase critical understanding that will help improve people’s lives and the health of our communities.
- Obesity impacts more than four out of 10 U.S. adults, including those in minority communities
- Obesity is linked to 60+ other health conditions, including severe illness from COVID-19
- Black and Latinx populations remain among the groups with the highest obesity rate and are also more likely to say they’ve experienced weight bias. Black women have the highest rates of obesity in the US compared to other groups, with four out of five being impacted
- Sexual orientation can play a role in obesity. Lesbian and bisexual females and LGBTQ-(IA+) youth have higher rates of obesity
Winners will be selected by a panel of jurors. The decisions of the jury are final. PSA Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- 25% concept/originality/creativity
- 25% social benefit/effectiveness of messaging
- 50% solutions-oriented call to action
To enter work in the Your Voice Carries Weight PSA Competition, visit FilmFreeway. Entrants must be legal U.S. residents, 18 years or older, to be eligible to submit a :30 or :60 second video PSA to this competition. The competition opens June 13, 2022, the deadline for entries is August 12, 2022, and the winners will be announced in September 2022. The PSA competition is made possible through gracious support from Novo Nordisk Inc.
How To Enter:
- Read the Official Rules (Click HERE). When you submit your entry you will be asked to confirm that you have read, understand and agree to the Rules.
- Read the Contest Winner Filmmaker Agreement (Click HERE). If you are chosen as a winner you will be required to sign the Agreement to collect your winnings.
- Film your PSA. Edit it into either a 30-second or 60-second submission. If you need releases for locations (click HERE) or individuals (click HERE), download them, print them, and have them completed and signed.
- Submit your PSA at: https://filmfreeway.com/YourVoiceCarriesWeight
(No purchase necessary. Open to individuals who are legal residents of the 50 U.S. & DC, 18 or older. Ends August 12, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET. Void where prohibited. Subject to Official Rules, available at this link: https://thecreativecoalition.org/psa-rules/